PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rumour: ANZ crew refuses to fly through TIBA
Old 8th Mar 2008, 09:00
an3_bolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there are quite a few aircraft going back and forth across the Tasman at any one time, but 99% of them are being driven by experienced, competent professionals. So with TCAS fitted and operating why would it not be safe to fly quadrantally, using the correct TIBA procedures across the Tasman? I mean you could even offset your track by 5 miles to the right if you wanted to add another layer of safety!

Seems like overkill to me, unless it's company mandated!
So - just a couple of questions:

1. Does that mean you are relying on a serviceable TCAS for traffic separation and collision avoidance?
2. Have you ever attempted see and avoid at a closing speed of 1000 kts?
3. How do you know that you might be doing the right thing - but is EVERYONE else doing the right thing from asian carriers, middle east carriers to biz jets that fly the pond?
4. Does offsetting necessarily remove the conflict of crossing traffic?
5. What about in emergency situations where aircraft are unable to maintain correct altitude / tracking?
6. What about if an aircraft is non-rvsm / rvsm failure and in TIBA?
7. Are you going to apply RVSM separation in TIBA?
8. What separation standards are you going to apply - and what are you going to do when some turkey is going to fly through you level in close proximity and do it regardless of your protest?
9. Why do you have to accept TIBA procedures when it is a result of lack of staff? Is it acceptable to to do TIBA in this day and age when it is not necessary especially when it is due to the systemic management failures of air traffic services?
10. If 99% know what they are doing - what about the 1% who are trying to kill you?
11. By the way - how many aircraft fly across the pond each day and on how many tracks do they do this?