PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2008, 22:18
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris,
If I remember correctly, flying in DIRECT LAW during initial training was one the many exercises to be practiced. To do so I believe the instructor had to switch a few (?) flight control computers off and airplane was behaving like any conventional one with the necessary use of manual pitch trim.
Flight Crew Training Manual
Handling characteristics are natural, of high quality aircraft
The example you mention is part of some emergency situations where some flight controls surfaces are inhibited and therefore cannot be placed in a similar category.

As you mentioned, take-off is conducted in Roll Direct Law, once airborne a few conditions apply FCOM 1.27.20 P1 and within 5 seconds Roll and Pitch blend in the flight mode.
I don’t see how a reverse process couldn't occur sometime before the flare ?
Adequate flight test program would tell how and where the switch is more appropriate, my guess would be around 1000 ft …

Regarding sidestick philosophy:
Standard Operation Procedures require any Flight Crew Member to advise the other one whenever any control is manipulated … and strangely enough, the most important control is manipulated in complete darkness !?

I say it again loud and clear:
Invisible sidestick for a single crew operation: ANYTIME !
Invisible sidesticks for a crew operation: NON SENSE !

Dream Land,
Forecast were windy, and last wind check (if EDDHATC information is reliable) was even more, but in the chart considering runway condition.
So what do you do ?
Wait for the blue blue sky to hit again ?
I would feel comfortable to monitor even a low time PF as long as I can follow any of his control inputs … but I’m afraid FBW Airbus just does not provide that ultimate tool.