PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF A330 MRTT progress
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2008, 21:49
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I was wrong with my previous speculation!

Cobham Equipment Selected for USAF Tanker Programme

(February 29, 2008) -- Cobham plc ('Cobham') congratulates Northrop Grumman on the selection of the KC-45A by the USAF for the multi billion dollar tanker programme and is pleased to confirm that the Group's all digital hose and drogue refuelling pods ('pods') will be fitted for under wing and fuselage refuelling. The aircraft will also be fitted with Cobham antennas and avionics equipment. It is anticipated that the total value to Cobham over the life of the programme will be up to $1bn.

The pods carry their own power system and can offload approximately 420 gallons of fuel per minute. They are fitted with 90 ft. long hoses and are designed for use with probe-equipped receiver aircraft, and are mounted on pre-existing outboard wing structures under the aircraft's wings. Cobham's fuselage refuelling unit, which also utilises the hose and drogue system, will also be part of the [KC-45's] refuelling capability. It is located within the aircraft fuselage, near the boom and can be used to refuel probe equipped Navy, Marine and allied forces aircraft. Cobham's antennas and avionics equipment are standard equipment on the A330.

Allan Cook, Cobham Chief Executive said:
"I am absolutely delighted that we will be continuing our long association with the USAF and Northrop Grumman on such an important programme. This is a huge boost to our business and gives us an excellent platform for further investment in our technology, capability and product offering to the customer."

Source : Cobham plc