PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2008, 21:47
EdSet100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TD:
EdSet100

"Had it been issued before 2 Sep 07, we might have taken the actions we took on 4 Sep, before the 2 Sep, thus preventing a probable cause of the accident."

When do you think they started this report ? The week before?
NO The incident happened 22nd November 2004 and it took them almost three years to get around to coming out with this report, a fact that I will personally make clear to the Coroner.
It is very important that you do so. One of the Stn Cdr's very intuitive recommendations in the XV227 flight safety report was that all other pipes similar to the SCP burst duct should be analysed for internal corrosion, etc, and a maintenance policy implemented. You should ask your lawyer to ask the IPTL, at the inquest, on what date did the IPT formally request/commission the recommended study. If it was after the 2 Sep 06, it could be reasonably argued, by some (you and your lawyer?), that the IPT never intended to act on the recommendation, but that the crash forced them to do so....and...why did it take so long to produce the report...and.... if they had received the report before 2 Sep 06, what actions would they have taken as a consequence of the report? We have clearly proven that we can fly with all similar ducts in the crossfeed system shut off, so it would not have been operationally impossible for us to do so, in light of that report alone while they fixed the problems. I would be very interested, as I'm sure you would be, how the IPTL would respond to these questions.

Although you and I have some common ground in this particular aspect, I have to stress that the report, in respect to crossfeed and SCP duct leaks, is now somewhat irrelevant to Nimrod safety today. All of those pipes are now shut down, and have been since 4 Sep 06, which was probably the first date that the Nimrod MR2 ever conducted AAR, safely.

Good luck.

Regards
Ed Sett