PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CVF
Thread: CVF
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2008, 20:53
Si Clik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

Jacko,

If it would do any good I could invite you to the Joint Services Command and Staff College where we regularly join in tri-service informed debate on all things defence and foreign policy related. As a student on the said course of 320 'high quality' officers of all three services I can tell you that your viewpoint does not reflect the long term views of the majority Army and Air Force students. If you were to attend our fiesty debates you would understand the need for a balanced view of the Armed Forces of the future that is suited not only to the current conflicts but those of the future where the security of our country, in economic as well as military terms will depend on our ability to counter threats well away from our nation without a reliance on host nation support. With the increasing dangers of global warming and sea-level rise our interests and ability to protect them will be additionally challenged and a reliance on fixed based operations will be a serious weakness.

Success on current operations is not directly linked to the spending decisions of the government on projects to be delivered in 5-10 years time, but on coherent strategic outcomes and operational plans which focus on a comprehensive approach with other government departments and nations. As has been continiously stated by the governments of both the UK and the US our NATO partners must assist in delivering these by providing combat troops and support in the more difficult areas of the country (these we cannot supply since we do not have big enough armed forces).

Current defence policy as laid out in SDR and the susbsequent New Chapter remains the best way to deal with the broad thrust of future threats beyond those in Afghnanistan and Iraq laid out coherently in the DCDC future trends paper. http://www.dcdc-strategictrends.org.uk/Current operations have different challenges more to do with politics than procurement policy, and the successlful application of UORs shows the flexibility that can be applied when required.

Money is always tight in defence and prioritisation is a difficult task that is currently demanding much from our management team. Some would accuse us of mismanagement but with an oil price that has risen by some 30-40% in the last year who should be surprised that previous plans have required revision.

Personally I don't think you will ever be persuaded that our decisions on force structures fit with your air centric ideology, but, as I have this year, try to look beyond your own experience and bias to the broader needs of this country to guarantee its future security.

Si