PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you solve complacency problems
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2008, 19:57
Caudillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are no ‘standard’ briefings; procedures might be standard (SOPs), but the situation and thus the application of the procedure will be different.
With all respect, I disagree with your above statement because I think it's too sweeping. Assuming you do short-haul hi-frequency operations, for instance a four sector day, perhaps even to the same pair of airfields then a briefing may well be what you call standard - or what I would consider unchanged. Naturally if the weather is inclement or changeable, traffic levels different, or there are notamed items coming into play etc - then yes, this needs to be discussed.

However, simply to parrot verbatim what has been said before, or to impress in detail upon ones colleague the arrival for an airfield into to which he or she may have operated for years can be superfluous. Speaking for myself, today I went to a place I'd never been before. Good, thorough discussion had beforehand - things were thought about, mulled over and re-considered. Well worth it for all involved. However, I am the first to admit that my eyes would simply glaze over were we to repeat the exercise in such depth for say the second time in a day on a fine quiet afternoon at home base. It's unnecessary in my view. This is simply an opinion by the way, and any input is welcomed!