PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New gov tax on aircraft!
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2008, 09:27
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horison flyer said in part... "I can see this reducing the number of transfer flights through the UK and reducing the size of UK airlines."

Yes, so can I, after all that is the whole point of the exercise. The whole point is to make aviation so unbearably expensive that we all jack it in because we can't afford it... and so stop Carbon emissions and therefore "save the world".

Supersport - Sadly I cannot help but fully agree with your post.

Aviation is a freedom, and is therefore hated, like other freedoms such as private motoring and other forms of travel.

Environmentalists hate it because they think it is "killing the world". Left-wingers hate it because it doesn't fit in with their utopian ideal of a Communist republic where everyone is the same - i.e. poor and oppressed. NIMBYs hate it because it's "too noisy". Safety freaks hate it because it's too free and is therefore "dangerous". Politicians hate it because it's a freedom, and for any of the other reasons above. However, Politicians also love it because it is a cash cow.

The question I challenge to all PPRuNE posters is this: Instead of sitting and doing nothing, what are we going to do about it? How can we defend our hobby/interest/career (delete as applicable) from such idiocy?

Ideas anyone?

Smithy.