PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re-start training at another FTO?
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2008, 21:31
eoincarey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the comment that if you can drive you can fly.

Absolutely don't agree. Flying, as we should know, is a much more complex affair. To do it well, it involves a good degree of technical comprehension, as well as an awareness and use of a variety of different disciplines; radio, navigation, meteorology, a/c tech etc. Lets face it, how many drivers could really tell you how their engine is transmitting power to the wheels? Or explain how their power steering works? Aviation examines pilots' ability to fully comprehend their skill; driving, whilst not denying that it involves a certain degree of practical skill, demands nothing like what flying asks of its pilots in terms of spatial awareness and general nous.

Granted, there are people out there, who as have been mentioned require a lot of extra work to get them to the standard, and just attain the PPL. This, it must be rememberd, is a minimum standard, and does not make them particularly proficient pilots. I'm sure we've all flown with guys (and girls) whose level of skill, awareness and confidence in the sky leaves much to be desired. IMHO this is the reason why so many PPL's lapse so soon; its not because of money, time, or inexperience. Its because they admit to themselves that that they have peaked in their level of proficiency.

Getting back to the FTO question. I stand by what I said. You may be aviation's equivalent of Frank Spencer, or you may just be the next 'Maverick'. EIther way, you owe it to yourself to investigate your abilities a little further before you reject out of hand their advice and plough on.

Eoin