PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PLYMOUTH -2
Thread: PLYMOUTH -2
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2008, 14:24
BEXIL160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The future for PLH does indeed look bleak, and decisions taken WAY, way back started the rot........

Take a drive out to Yelverton, and before you come to the village you will drive past what used to be RAF HARROBEER, now common land (and where I, and many others, learned to ride a motorcycle.... aged 12!)

Following the end of WW2 the whole airfield was offered to both Plymouth City Council, and then Devonshire County Council, for continued use as the city's municipal airport.

Both councils turned the offer from the War Dept. down, Devon, because they already had the use of Exeter Airport, and Plymouth City because the didn't have the money. Remember Plymouth had been "Bilitzed" in 1941, and was in the throws of serious rebuilding

(There is a film of the devestation wrought on what was the city centre, viewed from North Road. Few buildings remain standing amongst the rubble . The film remained under a D notice until after the war and did not get a public release until the early 1980's. It was deemed too shocking. It still is)

So, the grass aerodrome at Roborough soldiered on in various guises, was briefly sucessful under Bill Bryce.... and now the end is near.. sad really..... but inevitable?

BEX

P.S. I was told recently Dave Cornish works for BA, I went to school with his brother Paul.