PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Simulator X and all PC sims: merged threads
Old 6th Mar 2008, 10:50
Lt.Fubar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The desktop sim vs real life is always somewhat a hot discussion, and people are mostly right and wrong on both sides equally.

Lets begin with the choice people have when it comes to helicopter simulations on desktop computers... it is very short list. Really, best one can get is getting FS2004 and DodoSim Advanced Bell 206. That one works on its own flight model which I heard from many people is very accurate. But if one want to get best without paying for add ons, the FSX, now with Service Pack 2, is the best way to go.

The main change between FSX and FS2004 is in the handling - for example, in FS2004 the amount of thrust, that tail rotor could give, was depending on how much the main rotor was giving at given time (not in Dodo). Pure FSX have it fixed, now with the SP2, helicopters can become bit more complex - finely an governor with PID controller... unfortunately that one is apparently still tricky for add on makers to master - in the EH101 from the Acceleration add on, you can't maintain stable hover because of the governor. Its PID controller have wrong settings and the engines RPMs oscillate around the optimal value, producing to much torque one time, than to little the next. It can be changed simply editing one file in notepad, but requires some knowledge about the machine.

Since I'm not a pilot, (still working on my masters degree in engineering, than I'll go for the license) I did asked few pilots I know (I'm closely connected with Navy Aviation base here at Baltic coast) and one thing is quite common... non of them really look at the details in sim physics, until you tell them what they should look for. Not to offend any real time aviators here... just take everyones opinion with a grain of salt Most of the people I give to fly in FS9 and FSX said the same things:
- it is harder to fly (no motion and no depth perception)
- it is quite accurate - physics wise
- the sensation is totally different

To cut it short. If someone thinks about getting PPL-H license, and thinks about practicing in Flight Simulator, go for it, it is way better than learn flying helicopters from a book only.

Hover control inputs, instruments reading, flying approaches, stable flight (holding altitude, attitude and heading), communications (with live ATC - via Vatsim) - those are things that one will learn for sure