PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CVF
Thread: CVF
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2008, 10:49
Wader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarkD, you are right, brain fade or dyscalculia.

Navaleye, I agree the Viraat is still going strong but it should be self-evident that the Royal Navy did not operate it for 50 years!

Ditto Sunk at Narvik, you are of course right the that world's largest Navy is operating incredibly old ships, just the Royal Navy does not have such a track record with ironclads.

Also, given the number of flat tops they are able to afford the maintenance down time. With old vessels where we have two or three off we really only have the capability and resources to operate one.
We have been throwing modern destroyers away before the paint has dried. We dispensed with a complete submarine arm in short order. It wholly optimistic that political will to maintain 2 CVF over 50 years will endure.

A_A, dont tell me about the Ark. Watched the Queen Mum drive passed our house after she was launched. Not only was she on the slips for so long but they kept redesigning her. Workers would leave work Friday, on mOnday they would make their way back on board, up ladders, down companionways, descend into the bowels and arrive at a solid bulkhead where Friday there had been a hatch way.

Recently, an ex-Ark PO told me how he opened one hatch to find the compartment flooded. It was flooded for 5 decks down. All comparments below the water line were all shut down and damage control had to give permission every time someone needed to go below.

50 years, great idea and I would love to see it happen but I doubt it. I certainly hope they outlast me.