PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR Harmonisation
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2008, 10:19
3D CAM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Crab.
I haven't been deliberately evasive, just busy!
Total support staff, is, at the moment in a state of flux, what with the comings and goings of the transition. However, before all this kicked off, each 24hr base had seven engineers, six on varying shift patterns,2 per shift, depending on base, plus a Chief engineer on days. Also a labourer/handy man on days and a secretary for the Chief pilot.
The 12hr unit had/has 4 engineers, 2 per shift, working 12.5 hr. shifts on a basically 4on, 4off, two standby,4on, 6off pattern. Also a Chief engineer on days mon& thurs, shifts tues &wed, friday and weekend off. All this is to keep within the working time directive. Also a labourer on days and secretary for the Chief pilot. So, as many other posters have pointed out, you certainly have plenty of support staff.(Do you stiil have your WAAF to make the coffee?)
All these manpower levels are supposed to be increased by 2/3 at each base, thereby changing the shift patterns as well, after the transition team is split up but quite were these numbers are coming from is anyones guess. There is a dire shortage of engineers throughout the industry, due to lack of training, poor pay and conditions and lack of people leaving the forces. That, I'm afraid, is a fact and nobody in Civil Aviation would possibly argue otherwise!
None of the engineers were willing to divulge their salaries, and I can't blame them, would you publish your salary on a public forum? If you talk to one of your Wasteland engineers maybe he will enlighten you.
Leave and T&C's are also private but maybe someone will PM you???
Special deals etc.etc.
Your maintenance procedures are differant, but a gearbox/engine/mrb still only needs changing once and no matter how many engineers you have, you are stiil limited to the amount of hands you can get on a component! Also too many cooks and all that?

Last edited by 3D CAM; 6th Mar 2008 at 13:29. Reason: Idiocy and not pre-reading.