PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2008, 23:57
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The co-pilot flew the approach,not the Captain..
I have to reference this to what I know,which is Boeing.If during/after landing,no right-roll input is made by co-pilot,this would be clearly and instantly apparent to the Captain(before the wing has a chance to rise).On the Boeing.However,on the Airbus,he cant see/feel what the co-pilot is commanding so he can only react until/when the upwind wing starts coming up.Plus he has to press an override button for his sidestick to take control.Am I right?
On the Boeing he can follow through with what the co-pilot commands just by resting his hand on the control column.He has tactile feedback,not to mention visual.
If this is the case,the Captain's skill level was indeed very high.The recovery(apart from the obvious fact that it came just an instant too late)was very nice.

Commendable that the Captain let the co-pilot fly the approach.However,in the case of a rising wing during a x-wind landing you have to take control
instantly and how can you do that if theres no tactile/visual feedback
to warn you of any omission by the other pilot?You're forced to take action after it occurs.Too late.

On reflection,there is more good than bad to this whole incident.