PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2008, 23:22
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quotes from alf5071h:
We should be concerned that many operations are increasingly occurring in marginal conditions; this is not so much the fault of individual misjudgement than the increasing external pressures of inappropriate industry norms. ......
What we need is a bit more foresight, which should include training and briefing as well as basic systems and operational knowledge; good rule making and SOP formulation would also help.
[Unquote]

Thanks, I'll try to do justice to that Paper, when I get the chance.
You may have a point about the "press-on" pressure from management, in a world where the accountant is respected, but mother nature is taken for granted.
I am pleased that CRM was introduced during my career, and by my generation (we flew, in our rookie days - didn't we - with an older generation that included some press-on-regardless merchants, who thought they were still on "Ops"). But, before my retirement, I saw signs that (AIRCRAFT) HANDLING skills were already in decline in the 1990s. And many rookie pilots (straight out of flying school on to a £30m-jet) expected to be humoured when they acted like they were the bee's knees... Is that just old-fart syndrome?

Chris