PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Controversial Issue - Round 3
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2002, 14:05
phd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SID555. .The concerns raised by another pprune poster were about a training captain who showed possible symptoms of stress/alcohol/drugs and 'scared' the poster on the flight deck. The implication was that the person presented a risk to safety on the flight deck.. .. .I completely agree with your point that in the real world the person who has a medical/physical/psychological problem is very unlikely to open up this can of worms with their own manager, let alone the personnel department of their company. This is both because of the fear of losing their medical and therefore livelihood, but also because the individual with a problem is the very last person to recognise this or admit they need help. Whilst everyone else around the individual can see the problem only too well, but will not or cannot do anything about it. . .. .My question, which I will repeat, is this :- What should the person's colleagues and peers do about such a situation - and do airline's have the right management processes in place to deal with such tricky problems before they lead to an incident? Also should one pilot be expected to report on the condition or capacity of another pilot - and would they actually do it in the interests of safety?. .. .The medical profession has been trying to tackle such difficult issues for may years - with only limited success. There have been some well publicised tragedies involving medical practitioners continuing to practice when totally unfit to do so, and yet no one acted to stop them, even when it was apparent to many that they should have been stopped and helped, rather than be ignored and continue to endanger the public. . .. .Professions such as medicine tend to close ranks when the brown stuff begins to fly but since the Bristol baby scandal and the Harold Shipman horror story, medical people have begun to realise that sometimes the whistle has to be blown for the greater good, and the individual has to be prevented from doing further harm. . .. .Therefore should companies have confidential reporting systems - similar to the health service - so that pilots and others can report the 'unprofessional' or 'unsafe' conduct of another pilot?. .. .I would like to hear from others how they think these issues should be handled - and how they actually are handled in their own companies.