PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kegworth
Thread: Kegworth
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2008, 21:37
matt_hooks
Wunderbra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moggie et al. I happen to agree that the crew, in this instance, took a hasty decision, acting on what turned out to be false information.

And I was always taught that the FIRST thing you do in any emergency situation is sit on your hands, take the time to seek out and assimilate all information before making decisions or acting.

As for the value of MCC training, I think it's one of the great imponderables. It's very difficult to prove a negative (such as that MCC training has no positive effect on safety) but if done properly I can't see how such exposure to the multi crew environment can be harmful.

And Moggiee, I respect that you have direct personal experience of an emergency situation, and that it was handled in a professional manner with a succesful (i.e. safe) outcome. But can you honestly say that you would not be prone to making exactly the same mistakes as the crew at Kegworth did, given the information that they had, and the incorrect technical detail that they had been given? Yes I agree, a more methodical approach might well have led them to identify the problem correctly and avert the tragic outcome, but to second guess their actions is not very productive. To look at them, and learn from them, that is productive, but merely to point the finger of blame less so (I hasten to add that's just my opinion)