PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CVF
Thread: CVF
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2008, 20:22
Growbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do enjoy the circular fashion of threads on this forum, and I think that this is one that will be about for many years to come.

The requirement for CVF is certainly in the realms of crystal ball-work, however the USN carry out significant operations from their carriers into present theatres (mainly due to their organic tankers) and the ability to project such power without host nation support is the pinnacle of flexible air power. Typhoon will no doubt become a useful asset to the UK's arsenal, with some decent investment to rectify the poor design faults or rather to create a swing role aircraft from a pure AD platform...but it is not suited as a true swing role aircraft and JSF will outshine it in every department (depending on which variant we choose of course!). I agree with some points that if we canned both programmes we could fund an array of present tense assets that are crying out for cash, but when we have the opportunity to gain something which allows global reach and dynamic implementation, then why don't we have a bit of faith in the future. I have been around the military for many years, and have seen some poor procurement choices, but in times of cash shortages I have had direct experience of procuring the BEST equipment, off the shelf (rather than ten times the price from BAE, for example) and it being used as it was designed, and furthering the UK's reputation as being the best at what it does. That gives me hope.