PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Labyrnthitis...inner ear infection
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2001, 10:50
woofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

As long as I could remember I always suffered from a blocked nose. When I started flying regularly in a pressurised aircraft things started getting worse. On descent my ears used to get blocked and remain blocked for days. By the time my ears cleared I was scheduled for another flight so you can imagine what a miserable time I was passing through. One fine day after a flight I got extrememly dizzy, very similar to what has been described above, with a loud buzzing noise in my right ear making hearing very difficult. This was confirmed by an audiogram which showed a significant amount of hearing loss. Meniere's disease was not ruled out. However on further investigation they found out that all my problems were coming from my nose. Adenoids were blocking my eustachian tube making pressurisation of my ears very difficult. The buzzing noise I was hearing was due to mucus pressing on my ear drums. After doing an operation to clear up my nose my hearing has come back to normal with no problems during climb or descent. Check out for any allergies, such as house dust mites etc. You will be amazed what consequences they might have.