PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2008, 13:11
Seloco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T5 - a pax view

I was "privileged" to take part in a trial at T5 a couple of weeks ago, playing (along with 2000 others!) the part of a passenger departing, arriving and transferring through T5 throughout the day. The trial was professionally and realistically run, and as a frequent flyer it felt all too familiar.

I was however disappointed with the new terminal. It really is a very large (and noisy....) shed, and is missing that "wow" factor which the same architect (Richard Rogers) managed to achieve at Madrid's Barajas, for instance. Navigation through it is very much dependant on being able to follow the signage, which, although profuse, appears currently less than complete. My first "departure" was not helped by using a remote stand, so the supposedly enhanced check-in/security/gate procedure was somewhat spoiled by then being herded into the usual cattle truck for the journey to the plane!

I can only hope that the terminal's professed efficiency and mega-shopping experience is enough to recompense for the lack of architectural delight.