PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5 day Gliding Course
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2008, 10:26
ProfChrisReed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cats_five wrote:

The other thought is that all the debate about the trickyness of landing at various sites is a bit surpurlous. If they don't get solo they will always have an instructor in the back seat, if they do the instructor will have seen to it they know the local 'wrinkles'.
From the fact that the question was asked here I assumed (might be wrong) that they were all PPLs or in training. If so, I thought it might be a little dispiriting to take a 5-day course and never feel you were on top of the landing! My first two landings at the Mynd were "adequate", in that we could re-use the aircraft, but compared to my landings at flatland sites they were distinctly untidy.

If the group are all brand new to aviation then they have nothing different to compare it with, so it wouldn't be an issue. Similarly if they are all pretty experienced, then the hilltop sites will be an interesting challenge. My thought was that for those in between it might possibly be a relevant factor, though not the most important one, in feeling they got the most out of their course.

I'd say any of these would be good places to go for a course, so I was just trying to give some information which would help them make their choice.