PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women Pilots
Thread: Women Pilots
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2008, 08:40
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Having being in the industry for about 20 years I have found that for most of the time there's no issue about gender. Note, I did not say that there is NO issue whatsoever.

I have encountered some instructors with a bias against women. I have found some passengers and students with the same attitude. Fortunately, the vast majority are fine. I still find some nationalities have a definite bias against women.

I don't know why guys get all bent out of shape about the BWPA and AWPA bursaries. Since the person leaving the money states exactly how it is to be spent as per their will, they (AWPA and BWPA) lose that money if it isn't used correctly. Both organisations also provide money for both genders. So, if those organisations didn't exist, both would lose out. Also, if many of the bursaries have quite strict rules, some do require paying back.

Quite a few of the bursaries are for PPL holders only any way so they are no threat to any one wanting a professional license.

I know a few women who've missed out on this career because they were born too early in the 20th century and thus, couldn't fly for a living because they were expected to quit flying post WW2. Is that fair?

I don't agree that a "minority" should have extra allowances and the like. That does ruin it for all.

1% of all ATPL holders are women. Guys, I'd worry about the other 99%.