PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tinnitus
Thread: Tinnitus
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2001, 18:16
GatportAirwick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need to worry - worry makes tinnitus worse. A reassuring fact is that one in five people experience tinnitus in all age groups.

When I first noticed my tinnitus I felt frightened and controlled by it; afraid that it would get louder and louder and drive me insane. Michael Caine, Im a bit like yourself, Tinnitus is only troublsome at night when i lay my head down, the rest of the day it just isnt there - we´re lucky, with some people they have roaring 80 dbl tinnitus that stops them from leading any sort of a normal life. There´s no escape for them.

Its always a good idea to have your hearing tested, especially if the noise is coming from only one ear. If you sense that the noises are coming from in the head, the ears are probablly fine; I had excellent hearing when my ears were tested but in my case an excessive build up of wax, stress and headphones all contributed to the start of the noise. In turn ive had my ears cleanded out, dealt with the stress levels and cut out not only headphones but also clubbing and bars. I want to protect my ears now; you might find it helps you to be told that you´re hearing is fine by a proffessional, that made my tinnitus quieter! My tinnitus is now intermittent; sometimes its there at night, sometimes not - i go to sleep with the radio on or the window open, and it simply isnt bothersome now unless i make it so!

Anyone experiencing this, take heart, millions of people experience tinnitus, you probablly meet several people who experience it each day, but they´ve learned to deal with it and it doesnt affect their day to day lives so its never mentioned.

Relax and pace yourselves and this WILL get better,

Good Luck
GA