PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS for G.A. pilots
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 22:52
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FDK, I know that your using a tablet PC, which is pretty much a similar config on a smaller scale.
WbeBiggles - I used to have the Emtac Bluetooth GPS with a Palm Pilot running Fugawi moving map software, before I went upmarket to the LS800. Worked fine. I had it set up so the Palm Pilot sat above the Garmin 296 GPS so I had the 296 display below and the eWAC above.

FTDK, what do the 396/496 do for you in this country that the 296 doesn't? From the Garmin website it seems most additional features of the later/greater models are only supported in the US..
PlankBender - I am not advocating that anyone should buy the 496.

The 296 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I thought my III Pilot was great when I first got it and it served me well but I have not seen anything as capable as the 296.

So why did I buy a 496? Cause I had need of another GPS (and NO, I am NOT going to run 4 GPSs in the Bo) and figured I might as well buy the latest technology for not a lot more money.

If you buy the European version, it is cheaper cause you don't get all the US database stuff.

What does the 496 do for an Ozzie based pilot that a 296 doesn't - not much!

The 496 has faster refresh rates (5 MHz).
The 496 has audible terrain allerts
The 496 is TCAS alert compatable

All of the other stuff is either of no use to an Ozzie pilot or not available here anyway.

The best investment a young pilot could make would be to save up and buy a 296, or get the family to combine all birthday and Xmas presents for the next 5 years and buy them one.

I have never met anyone who has a 296 who regrets the investment - and it could just save your bacon one day.

After 5 or so years of flying with the 296, I would not hesitate to fly a GPSRNAV, Localiser or NDB overlay approach with it - if that was all I had left.

Dr

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 4th Mar 2008 at 23:35.