PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women Pilots
Thread: Women Pilots
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 20:53
MarkColeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a start, doing aeronautical engineering at uni as one of only a few girls in a class of 150, in terms of the group stuff/exams etc, alot (not all!) of the guys just assume you dont have a clue and are only doing it cos you think planes are pretty and you're only doing the course cos you want to learn how to design your own pink, personalised flowery one. (and this was after a good few visits of my school career advisor trying to suggest something thats maybe 'a bit more suited')
Some good grades in your exams would surely be the best way to shut those guys, and career advisor up? a 2 grand discount is hardly going to change their attitudes to women pilots is it?

Then when I started my PPL I had to change instructors as the first guy I had was constantly perving and hitting on me and making me feel generally uncomfortable.
I had to change instructors once because the guy was a little prick who made up for what he lacked in height with his ego. you know the type. So wheres my 2 grand?

I think you'll find the point of the Amy Johnson scholarship and also things like the BWPA are all in place to ENCOURAGE more women into aviation. The same women who have probably been discouraged from aviation by the likes of the above situations and attitudes from dinosaurs like yourself.
Yeah i bet a nice 2000 bursary would ENCOURAGE more guys into aviation aswell. I take offence to your comment that my attitude might have discouraged anyone from entering aviation. Ive been asked by girls if there are many women pilots being trained and my answer has always been along the lines of 'not many, but i know a few and they generally have the same difficulties and success's as the guys'.

Also im not a dinosaur, im 24.

Its just my own personal experience, but if, as you put it, "women are being discriminated against in a preferential manner and its the men who are getting shafted", whats one award of £2000 a year compared to how hard it can be for the rest of the year?
Yeah its hard for guys too. I find women pilots dont have to put up with too much **** from guys when they go out and do well in their training, pass their exams and pass their check rides. Having an attitude that theyre deserving of preferential treatment based on their gender however, like you seem to have, will lead them to getting **** off their male colleagues.

And if it bothers you that much, whats to stop you dressing up in a skirt and tights and applying for it yourself?
Hey maybe thats not a bad idea, maybe i would be treated differantly if i was a girl, and that my dear, validates my original point thankyouverymuch!!