PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 20:22
SR71

Mach 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question...

If Annex F & Annex I and Exhibit 164 (& 165) all show a track to the Bryd Reporting Point, why was Collins not alerted to an issue when Bryd did not appear on the flight plan (Pg 37, Vette's book)?

Vette plots the old flight plan route on Pg 38 of his book and suggests Collins must have plotted this route on his Antarctic charts, but surely at that point you have to ask what the signficance of the random 77.53S 164.48E "Dailey Islands" waypoint is and why isn't Bryd listed?

Maybe the point is moot because it was merely a point selected to allow you a safe VMC let down? If you weren't VMC by then, in lieu of the NDB being out of action, you're off somewhere else having dropped no lower than FL160....

Simpson says as much in his submission(s).

In an attempt to answer my own question, if, of course, the Dailey Island waypoint only ever came into being as a result of an error in constructing the flight plan, had Collins asked this question on or around the 16th November, in association with Simpson's observation, the airline might have been a little more diligent in correcting any mis-understandings rather than just changing them and not telling anyone.

I'm absolutely staggered that the briefing material did not include a copy of a single appropriately sized topographical map with the exact proposed nav track that was going to be uploaded to the AINS marked on it and that any discrepancies were not ironed out at that stage...