PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Russian Domestic Airline -- Sky Express
Old 4th Mar 2008, 18:02
JClassPAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like I have wasted my time writing supposedly-sensible travel comments here for the initial poster. Now just before Tightslot comes home and has a fit at all the above and closes or deletes this thread, does anyone have any notes on Russian travel conditions. Anyone even been on Sky Epress ?
Nah he got it!
Not sure about Sky Express in particular, but word from the grapevine is that Moscow Domodedovo/DME is the way to go, avoid Sheremeteevo if possible. Also, there's "express" and VIP entry at DME, and some Russian companies and contacts can line you up at that. I think "express" means the same 3 hour wait at customs and passport control, but you get to sit down, sip coffee and read the papers while you're at it. VIP is basically go-right-through, but I heard its like EURO 500 or something!
For other cities, its still cross-your-fingers. Trains are another alternative, lots of choices, but best to get a Russian contact to arrange it.
One of the best ways to enter Russia actually is via the train Sibelius Line from Helsinki. Easy passport controls (they take your passport and return it to you after entering Russia), easy customs (One guy just comes up and asks "anything to declare?"), lots of foreigners and Americans onboard, clean and comfy. Same goes for departing Russia. Ride is around 6 hours if I recall properly, but feels like nothing when you step off!