PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 16:02
moosp

Cool as a moosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackboot, we have apparent delamination on a 200 hour blade. I say apparent as the only indication is that the paint has peeled beyond the leading edge/lower skin interface at the tip and that so worries Robinson. There is no adverse noise from the tap test.

We sent a photo of the area to Robinson and they said ground it. We do not know how long it will take to get a replacement, for which we will have to pay.

If such manufacturing defects occurred in most other machinery the company would be obliged to replace the part. I have heard it said that Robinson has more lawyers than engineers, so perhaps this is why we just go on paying.

I would assume that Robinson do not approve the Airwolf STC because by doing so they would admit to a design or manufacturing problem. It seems a good idea as long as it is done before the paint peels off.

When an R44 is flying, it is in my opinion one of the the best private flying helicopters available. The manufacturing problems are another issue, but they must be taken into consideration if you are thinking of buying one.

I also love the EC120 for private flying, at three times the cost, but on this thread that is serious thread drift