PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 12:58
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rubik101,
I dont think the thread as a whole has been quick to judge.Kudos has been given to the pilot for his pitch/roll control in the recovery stage.

He was landing within the limits of the aircraft and de facto, his own as he is a LH Captain.
We dont know that.The video and the recorded met say something else.

I would just say this to some of you; were you flying last week in the extreme weather that obtained over large tracts of Europe? If not, then please refrain from posting an opinion about the qualifications of the pilot.
I find this very arrogant.In the States we get stuff like this much more frequently than you guys do.Asia has monsoons/typhoons.All pilots are qualified to comment and discuss this(the issue-not the pilot I agree).

All this talk of direct law and squeezing crab off at the appropriate time amount to nothing more than a lot of hot air. As has been mentioned, it's an aircraft, fly the airplane and land it as well as you can in the circumstances.
This is NOT the impression I get from reading this thread.I have never flown Airbus(thank Christ) but it appears that it is clearly notjust like any other aircraft in this situation and that using "conventional" techniques in a cross-wind will not have the same effect in an Airbus.This is not "hot air".Its important and the crux of the discussion.
The video doesnt lie.It clearly shows incorrect technique.Do the Airbus control laws below 50' enable the pilot to manipulate his aircraft to deal with such a crosswind?In other words was it man or machine?Some have said it did exactly what it was asked to do...well,I find that hard to believe.These are important issues and worth discussing dont you think?

NO,I disagree.This has been a good thread and raised many issues like:
-choice of rwy..left vs right x-wind..vortices from buildings influencing pilots decision in rwy choice etc
-flap setting for gusts
- large track adjustment at threshold=continue OR GA
-x-wind limitations..include gusts(yes!)..demonstrated(test pilot)= HARD limitation
-calculation of x-wind component..precise calculation by chart vs guess-estimate..
-airbus vs conventional aircraft x-wind techniques/capabilities(the kernel of the discussion)
-HF..get it down now somehow vs the pain of diversion

Important stuff and what this site needs more of..............