PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spicejet v Jet v Air India Express
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 12:50
bear11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevrekar, AIEXPATS is talking I think about AI owned 4 and 5 star hotels that seem to have a magical star rating which relates to nothing in the real world - I know a couple of guys who flew with AIEX and they said the standard of some of the hotels is simply appalling.

I honestly have to wonder where some of the other 5 star Indian hotels got their ratings, either. They all charge unjustifiable nightly rates that relate to nothing other than what they think they can extract from you or your company. I suspect this stems from the fact that they know you ain't got a choice, as anything lower than that star-wise would need a bodyguard and a strong stomach to endure. There simply aren't enough "5 star" hotels to go around especially during the high season, so you end up with a choice of 1 hotel and staying in something that pays vague lip-service to its 5 stars. Secondly, many of them have shoals of people standing around in uniforms doing absoloutely nothing, and the actual service levels are pitiful. Thirdly, many of the "managers" behind the front desks have a serious streak of attitude problem, especially if you point out some of the issues politely.

Examples - I've frequently been quoted in writing prior in Bucks or Euros, then at the end of the stay given a bill in Rupees far higher than that when you convert. When you query your bill, you're told with a straight face that it's converted at the "hotel" rate, and it's not possible to charge Euro or USD to your credit card! Their attitude is "Hey, you're rich, just pay it and shut up".

Another typical scenario is you stay somewhere a few nights and pay the wireless internet bill for your room, then on the last day you check out. Flights back to Europe are at around midnight that night, so you often end up back at the hotel that evening hanging around for a few hours - you want to check your e mails and you are given a rate 10 times what you paid in the room, despite having paid your extortionate bill for several days earlier that morning. Most expats I know who have flown there tend to have 2-4 real food "events" per year, even being very careful what they eat, ie; no salads or veggies practically. One last one - you arrive to a 5 star late at night off a flight, there's one person at the desk despite a large queue and knowing that all the flights come in at that time, when you finally check in you have to wait an hour to have your bag delivered to your room.

None of that spells service to me, and I'm not the only one who wonders at the myth of Indian 5 star service. And yes, I do stay at pilot hotels, and I do smile and tip people. I'm not a whinger, but I understand the necessary ratio between what you pay and what service you should receive, and the hotel bills there are monumental. I know there are some fabulous hotels in India, but they're usually the exception and booked out.