PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laptop chip and video sub-system comparison
Old 4th Mar 2008, 12:08
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Laptop chip and video sub-system comparison

EDIT Oh gorsh...I'm not shouting, I just can't drive this software

Hi, One is on friend’s laptop so must be quick. very hurried and muddled I'm afraid.

I spent time in some Essex stores yesterday looking at laptops. I had intended buying one in Texas cos of the price, but ran out of time. When I got home, I was astounded to find that prices here had come down so much. I was looking at HP 6000 series, dual core ? 2 Gig / 180 Gig for under 400 quids.

There really isn’t much difference between the prices when you take local tax into account in the US.

So, I had to get quick briefings on the modern chips.
The higher-end chip in the Fugitsu was countered by the better video sub-system in the HP. Getting the best of both worlds doubled the price.
Is the new Intel chip that manages the power that worth having? The reasoning behind this question is that one lad in S****e’s tried to go back to XP and found that it objected to his new machine. Was this due to the Vista/Hardware interaction? I’m going to give Vista a go, but would like the option of XP if it gets too tedious to carry on with Vista.

I can see that this could be a nasty trap to fall into.

Anyway, the AMD 64 x 2 thingie on the HP seemed to function well, and they offered Works bundled. This will tide me over till I get my Word Perfect back.

The thing is that I want to scan hundreds of photos while I’m home. This will no doubt be the most demanding load on the system.

Will the Nvidia small dedicated video memory be okay for Photoshop tasks. The bulk of the work being done by shared memory it seems.

AMD v Intel info would be appreciated. No time for search as my host requries her table

Last edited by Saab Dastard; 4th Mar 2008 at 13:53. Reason: Font size reduced to manageable proportions (ooohh, my head!!)