PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 19:07
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Javelin

Beyond that, lay off the drift on approach, kick it off in the flare, dip a wing and land into wind wheel first - it works a treat
That is exactly how I was taught, apart from the 'kick it off' bit - more of a squeeze really.

However the one trime it frightened me (as I and others have alluded to) is when the into wind wing kept on coming up despite full sidestick. So in my case there was no 'dipping a wing' because 'it' would not let me. As I stated before an A320 'old hand' told me to take the drift off earlier to give the FBW a chance to sort itself out.

Perhaps I had experienced a temporary gust outside the limits - I will never know.

You asked about the 777. I only flew it for a year as an F/O and it was an absolute delight to fly and felt like a real aircraft - different FBW logic entirely to the 320. I always had confidence that the 777 would perform as advertised - not so in the 320.

Back on the 737 following a 2 year break on the 757 and both types behave very well in a xwind - the 737 marginally better than the 757. I've only twice landed the 737 in a limiting xwind and on both occasions I was nowhere near the roll authority limit.

Incidentally the 320 was a great aircraft in many respects, especially when you consider how old the FBW design logic is. What I did find worrying is the reluctance for Airbus Industrie to consider that they may have a problem with any of their design - it took a crumpled aircraft in Bilbao before they accepted what other operators had been telling them for some time - the ELAC design as it stood then was dangerous.

Regards
Exeng