PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laser treatment and medical class I
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2001, 16:33
jj7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Both FAA and JAA approve refractive surgery.FAA has been approving surgery for years and JAA only recently after the JAR-FCL Medical Subcommittee meeting in June
2001 where NPA (notice proposal amendment)
was published.Some JAA states have been approving refractive surgery for longer times (UK), but now it is officially approved in all JAA member states.

Although it is not yet written in JAR-FCL 3 Medical Requirements, you can apply for special waivers, because there is published NPA out which accepts refractive surgery for initial Class 1 applicants on case by case basis if:

-PRK or LASIK has been performed(no other methods)
-pre-operative refraction was less than -5.0 dioptres
-satisfactory stability of refraction has been achieved
-glare sensitivity is not increased
-mesopic contrast sensitivity is not impaired
-assessment by the AMS not earlier than 12 months after surgery
(all above from Central JAA)

-correction of long-sight is not acceptable*
*from UK CAA : http://www.srg.caa.co.uk
(check medical information)

As far as i know refractive surgery is very hard to detect by microscope and any other conventional methods, but it can be detected
by corneal topography.So i don't think that they can find out about the surgery if you don't tell them.And my advise is not tell them, coz you will only get yourshelf in trouble for nothing.

I know this very well coz i had PRK surgery 5 years ago and applied 3 years ago for initial 1st class medical which was denied due PRK.(i did tell that i have had the surgery, otherwise they wouldn't have a clue ) Then i had to fight for my 1st medical in Courts and finally won the case in Supreme Administrative Court which after the case was send to JAR-FCL Medical Subcommittee for advise and finally after
June meeting i was given JAR-FCL 1st class medical certificate.
I can say to you that you did a very wise thing not to tell them about the surgery i just wish that had done the samething and saved myself for all the trouble i have seen.

Good luck !

[ 31 July 2001: Message edited by: jj7 ]