PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QNH and Flight Level
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 02:09
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All that time spent working out what is the required 'CAA response' distracts from absorbing the information.
I hope you're not planning to do any ATPLs then. Six entire weeks are spent on learning what the CAA answer should be! (mind you, saves you from having to know what the actual answer is until after you pass the exams I found it made life easier, in a way)

There really should be a drive to bring clarity into the syllabus and not cloud important issues that a new PPL could easily fall foul of
It is my understanding that steps are being taken in that direction, at least with regards to professional licences. Some of the details can be gleaned by looking at the EASA NPLs. Next comment and response period starts in about a month, I believe, so feel free to chip in if you have any helpful ideas.

For the time being though, from my experience it seems like one should consider passing the exams and gaining the necessary knowledge to fly an aircraft as separate processes. The obvious implication is that one should not make the mistake of thinking that one has the knowledge required to fly safely just because one has passed the exams.

Come to think of it, at the end of the day, the situation is not all that different from gaining a driver's licence.

....oh, by the way, the correct answer is FL50, because it asks for the first available flight level. FL30 is not available for cruising for the reasons explained above by other posters.

Problem is, for each of these questions, there tends to be another version which does not say "available" (in which case of course, FL30 would be correct. Gotta love them )

Last edited by LH2; 3rd Mar 2008 at 02:17. Reason: Forgot to answer question