PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying schools in Asia, India, Pakistan
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2008, 22:36
PlankBlender

Thumbs up South Africa

Give South Africa a thought, mate. I did some training there a while back, it's a great country in many regards (imagine fly-in safaris as a bonus after you complete your license), English speaking which is important in aviation, standard of living is very good especially in Cape Town, theory requirements are realistic (forget Australian Air Law madness) etc.

I don't know about current exchange rates, but for me it's definitely an alternative next to the US, Australia, and Europe. I would be very careful with anything different from those four geographies for a variety of reasons:

Check conversion requirements: I'm almost certain the Europeans will make you jump through some extra hoops if you turn up with a Pakistani license. They don't even fully acknowledge Aussie licenses, go figure!

Make sure wherever you go the fleet is of a good standard. I cannot imagine engineer training and maintenance oversight is anything like in the more developed countries..

Thoroughly check the reputation of any training organisation, especially where there is no information available on pprune or through other independent sources.. you wouldn't want to think you're getting a bargain and then getting scammed out of your hard-earned. Remember once you've made the move and started somewhere, the cost of changing can be very high!

Good luck, and remember, in aviation price is not you main consideration..