PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Quebec - Don't speak French
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2008, 13:04
Carrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote by flaps2billion: “they create bogus arguments......”

Flaps2billion, are you unable to read and comprehend the following that I put in post 11 above?
“This is not just a language or local politics issue, it is also a SAFETY issue. 176 died in the crash between a BA Trident and a DC-9 on 10 September 1976. A major contributing factor to this mid-air crash was: “The controller was speaking in Croatian to the Yugoslavian plane, which meant that the Trident crew was deprived of information that might have saved their lives.”
Do you consider the deaths of 176 passengers and crew to be a bogus argument? If so, I can only express my disgust at your political expediency and outright callousness!

Who said language barriers are the primary cause of runway incursions? There is reference to the use of a language other then English being a contributory cause to runway incursions, but there is a significant difference between it being a contributory cause and it being the primary cause. You would seem to have a severe comprehension problem! (Perhaps the sort of comprehension problem that causes runway incursions, altitude errors, turning the wrong way, etc.)

Why wait until there is another crash due to the use of other than English in aviation? Intelligent and responsible people do everything reasonably possible to learn from previous mistakes and prevent the same thing happening again. Doh! There is even a similar motto in every issue of Canada’s Aviation Safety Letter. It’s too bad there are too many Canadians who ignore such responsible attitudes.

Note that the use of English in aviation is not specifically anti-French. ALL other languages should not be used in aviation. Like it or not, English is supposed to be the international language of aviation and for SAFETY is the only language that should be used in aviation communications.

Also, like it or lump it, English is the de facto world language of international trade and commerce.

Last edited by Carrier; 4th Mar 2008 at 17:36.