PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finished training... Now what?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2008, 10:53
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello mate

Saw your post and thought I'd add my two cents, especially seeing I am from the same part of the planet as yourself! I am also in a similar situation to you (albeit I've been there a bit longer he he!). First of all, well done on completing your training. I felt a great sense of achievement when I had that little blue book in my hands, although I also felt a bit sad as I was leaving a fantastic FTO and a great bunch of people behind. Anyway, I digress, we are talking about the hard bit - finding that ellusive first job!

I completed my MCC in June of last year and entered the job market all guns blazing. Probably the wrong time of year to start looking, however I had already made some inroads with an airline before I finished my ME/IR, so I was happy with my progress. Luckily for me I had made contact with someone who was receptive to my desire to one day work for their operation. I was confident that it would, eventually, all pay off, but unfortunately nearly 8 months later saw a change in personnel and change in policy - bang went the job ho hum!

One bit of advice here is, if you pick a specific airline, badger them til you get somewhere and then start making progress; don't give up looking on other fronts. I took the foot off the gas a little and regret it. Keep all your irons hot! While you are searching, keep the flying going. I enrolled in an FIC two months after completing my initial training, and without doubt it is the best decision I have made to date. I feel very fortunate to have an instructor as good as the one who runs the course and I feel I have learned more about flying that I did during the entirety of my commercial training! Plus the FIC keeps you with the 'aviation scene.' And the 'scene' in Scotland is pretty small, so it's a definate help to your case.

I also noted that you were worried about taking the TP route. In my opinion you should actively pursue it. Flying something like a Saab 340 or a Jetstream 41 around Scotland will do wonders for your flying (and where else do you get scenery like ours?). As JB007 says, have a career plan. If the TP thing isn't your longterm goal, then try and get into it at least - don't dismiss it. Learn your trade in the RHS for 2-3 years and then move onto your Boeing or 'Bus job. These operators arn't silly, they know the majority of their FO's will want to move on. Mr 007 shows this happens!

There you go mate, my two cents. Might not be worth much, however I am quietly confident things will start happening for me soon - as I'm sure they will for you. Remember though, you have to make it happen yourself. Get out there and network, start the FIC, maybe keep up the IR currency (there is a great new sim at Dundee) and take any opportunity that comes your way.

Best of luck, CK