PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improving the lot of instructors
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2008, 10:42
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FI motivation

Hi pruners, can a rotary guy butt in to your thread please?

The wonderful thing about these forums is the freedom to express ... but reading through some of the more extreme posts on this thread, I find it unsettling to see the level of venom that has appeared on the subject. I cannot believe the various posters stopped to think through the effect of such words on our industry image.

A pprune contributor has expressed a desire to investigate a particular area of aviation employment and any adverse effects. The stated aim was to improve instructor conditions. Yes .. We all support that.

The initial post sounds a very reasonable project but for what my tuppence is worth ... probably doomed to failure.

The flying training industry is alive and well. But yes ... pay conditions are not good. How can it be otherwise in a situation where the activity is so pleasurable that person A is prepared to pay £300 an hour for the experience, (rotary) and person B receives payment for doing the self same thing.

I never like to admit that I have been a flyer for over 50 years, and was a CAA approved examiner for 30 years. I've owned two flying schools and three AOC companies, (fixed and rotary - employing half a dozen instructors & commercial pilots) and, on leaving the RAF, worked as a freelance instructor/examiner myself for the first ten years as a paid employee.

In that time, I have never, ever seen or heard any instructor or commercial pilot do any of the things originally suggested. It just doesn't happen in spite of the original poster's assumed financial temptations or threats on jobs. 99% of all instructors I have known or employed - have been absoutely professional, particularly in the areas of safety and student welfare. The one per cent was a real oddball on the money although still a safe pilot.

The SAFETY word is and hopefully always will be, the prime consideration in our flying business, and that approach is the only one I have observed in my many years in the flying training and other areas of this industry.

Even today, having almost totally retired and with my business sold, I still receive letter/e-mails from newly qualified FI (r)s seeking employment for little or nil pay. Understandably they want to be part of the charisma of our flying world.

As an ex employer, I would never take up such offers. We need to raise the salary bar somehow ... but I don't have a definitive answer as to how we achieve that.

IF and it is a big if ... we can persuade our customers to pay more, (ie a realistic rate) that is one answer. The same problem exists in the maintenance side of the business. Our customers will pay more, but only if we let them understand the years of training, dedication and professionalism ... AND the associated safety they are about to receive and also providing the the industry doesn't break ranks. We need to be aware of monopoly rules of course.

Pilot's union ... another possible solution perhaps, and not the existing bodies. Balpa seem to manage it!

But to close good buddies ... leave the venom to the crap press ... we still have the ordinary decent rules of economics. No story ... no profit. The furore will go away.

Good and safe flying to you all out there. Young and like me ... not so young!

Dennis Kenyon.