PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Staff Travel in Retirement
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2008, 08:51
ExSp33db1rd

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry Staff Travel in Retirement

British Airways are to retrospectively deny their older, long retired, pilots ( and general staff ) access to Staff Travel. Although always described as a concession which could be withdrawn at any time, never a contractual right, it was nevertheless an expectation that anyone granted the concession upon retirement could expect to receive it for the length of their retirement, i.e. for life.

The new scheme only allows for the Staff Travel concession to be utilised for the length of time in retirement equal to the years employed, i.e. I served 24 yrs. and have been retired 24 yrs. so Bingo ! do not pass go, do not collect 200 pounds, just disappear and don't bother us anymore ! ( a 5 yr. extension is being 'graciously' granted. ) Older pilots were forced to retire at 55 until recently, so by being denied 10 yrs more work, and retiring 10 yrs. earlier they effectively lose 20 yrs. concession over general staff under the new scheme.

I have some sympathy with the new scheme, but not the way it is being retrospectively introduced.

Please, I don't want emotional sentiments about 'How Lucky I've Been' from the ' We Don't Get It So Why Should You ' brigade, I'm looking for facts to help our Task Force being formed to fight the unfairness and inequality being handed out to the older retired.

I need to know if any other airline operates this sort of policy, i.e. Staff Travel in retirement only being available for the same length of time as one was employed, as B.A. are claiming that they are bringing us into line with the other major airlines ?

I especially need to know about the old established airlines, the Europeans, Swissar, KLM, Air France, Aer Lingus, Lufthansa etc. and the major American ones such as United, American, Northwest. Info. on Cathay Pacific, JAL and Qantas would be useful, too. I have data on SIA, Air Canada and Air New Zealand

Thank you for your help - and remember, you will all retire one day.