PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2008, 06:41
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you can read too much in about the Airbus here...

He seemed fairly nicely setup until, say 50R when he got a gust from the RHS. Blew aircraft downwind and needed a large right AoB input to not only correct drift, but also to regain CL. With 20:20 hindsight that is when someone might have been better to throw it away... (on any type).

However, they continued, and from my time on the bus, any large/abrubt input (e.g. that massive left kick straight) stores up secondary effects. I now try to use smaller inputs over a longer period (as in fact is taught), and if they prove insufficient, then the weather is outside my and/or the aircraft's capability. As others have said, it might not be pretty, but it lands quite happily with large drift angles on, and as TPs various demonstrate in uTube videos etc., it works well if required

A good brief to your colleague to not hesitate to call G/A and discuss later... Also a brief that if you need/use full stick seriously consider a G/A... and for NHP watch the HP's hand, and if they are using using full stick consider calling G/A... (which I have done to a NHP encountering wake ~30R)

If all they've damaged is a winglet, great Ours (BA) get knocked off regularly by catering trucks etc....

NoD