PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - clearing sinuses!
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2001, 04:05
Roadtrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squire - I would highly recommend that you NOT fly as a crewmember with a bad cold or the aftermath. If you've even seen someone with a sinus block or talked with them, you wouldn't do it. Imagine if you will a cabin pressurization problem to boot. A sinus block is likely to become completely incapacitating and impossible to "gut out" - it hurts THAT much. If you can fly with the pain of someone shoving a knitting needle up your nose, you're a better man that I Gunga Din. If you do blow a sinus, it'll ground you for a very, very long time.

Bottom line -- it's not worth it. Go on the sick list and don't take a chance on endangering yourself or others. I know when another crewmember reports for duty with a URI, it pisses me off that they might give it to the rest of the crew and/or cause a physiological incident to boot.
In general, it's been my experience that antihistimins relieve some symptoms, but prolong the full recovery time.

That being said, I do carry a small spray bottle of AFRIN (I don't know what the UK equivelent it)for emergencies. I've never had to use it myself, but just the other day I gave it to the captain who was having trouble on the descent. I would say that it's only marginally effective.

Don't fly with a URI and you won't have problems.

[ 30 December 2001: Message edited by: Roadtrip ]</p>