PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2008, 23:42
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aircraft did exactly what was asked of it. It tried to turn toward the direction of travel when the left main touched down. That caused a roll to the left which was exascerbated by the strong (i.e. outside design limits) crosswind. And there was no "decision" to go around.
Listening to that and watching that vid a dozen times, does make me think that landing an AB in those conditions, seems to be a bit of a lottery... either you do kick-off drift and CAN get some sort of normal aileron law to keep the upwind wing down, or you don't and risk colossal side-strain on the landing gear or running too quickly towards the upwind edge of the runway.
The latter of those being exacerbated by the uncertainty of aircraft position after touchdown - in those conditions.

Obvious Qu. Why don't AB just offer a normal aileron law for heavy crosswind landings...

Obvious Ans. Because they don't want to suddenly allow a switch in aircraft characteristics, you would have to get used to the change pretty quickly, and its a rare situation that demands it, unless used routinely for approcah and landing.

However: IMHO, roll-rate law near the ground is 'non-ideal' in those conditions, esp. if you require to cross the controls at times like that - which I think he/she did, or should have.