PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2008, 23:18
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imminent Boner

As a former busdriver and a current Boeing man I would take the Boeing any day in conditions like this. Who wants the bloody computer butting in when you´re riding the bull?!
I totally agree. As a former Boeing man the first on limits Xwind landing on a 320 at LHR scared me. The training I had on the sim was just that - training on the sim. I had full sidestick and the wing just kept on coming up. In the end I released some rudder (in panic. I might add, whilst trying to just fly the plane) and landed with a considerable amount of drift on.

Because of this experience I made some considerable noise in the office (British Airways) and was given the advice that I 'probably just wasn't applying the correct techniques'. In other words - just go away.

Fortunately I mentioned this experience of mine to a 320 'old hand' who advised that the rubbish taught in the sim is just that - the drift has to be taken off earlier in the 320 so as to give the 'bus' some small time to rethink.

I am certainly no expert, but I listened to that 'old hand' and his techniques seemed to work; or perhaps I never saw those particular wind conditions again.

Back on the Boeing when you move the ailerons the wing reacts as expected - always. If it didn't then TOGA is the answer. TOGA should have been the answer that day at LHR on the Bus I'm sure now - trouble is I believed the Airbus hype and BA training.

When I look at that video I have to say "there but for the grace etc, etc".

Regards
Exeng