PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class One eyesight
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2001, 23:42
Tiger_ Moth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I contacted the CAA and have sent them off prescriptions from 3 previous years so they can consider it. However there has been a bit of a change in that time and i dont think my eyesight has levelled out yet.
could they really have it implemented by the end of this year, ie 3 months? or did you mean next year? If so, thats good because it is a pretty dumb rule: if I can fly in a windy Tiger Moth then surely I could cope with a closed cockpit plane, especially as Id have a reserve pair of glasses incase the others blew up or whatever.
As long as they change it within about 4, 5 years it'll probably be ok for me because I wouldnt be able to become a professional pilot until id saved up enough money to pay for it which would take probably something like 10 years from now. At least it'll save me some money now.
I am interested in laser eye surgery but theres no way id have it any time soon because I have heard of some pretty dodgy side effects and in some cases eyesight even being made worse. Apparently it can impair night vision which would be very troublesome for a commercial pilot and you have problems with bright lights etc which is why the RAF dont allow it or something. Its too expensive as well.