PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2008, 19:58
Jumbo Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sky9
Should software updates be done to both engines on a twin at the same time? Whether this is or is not the cause of the problem it surely is prudent not to change the operating criteria of both engines at the same time.
If my memory serves me correctly didn't an engineer once replace the oil drain plugs incorrectly on all 3 engines on a tristar.
Yes, sky9, I think the event you have in mind involved the omission of all the O-ring seals on the magnetic chip-detector plugs on an Eastern Air Lines Lockheed L-1011 on May 5 1983.

This incident (amongst others) is mentioned on page 2 of this interesting Flight Safety Foundation article entitled Simultaneous Engine Maintenance Increases Operating Risks.

There was also a very similar incident involving a BAe 146 (RAF 32 Sqn) in 1997, which is described in the preceding bulletin here.

CAP 718: Human Factors in Aircraft Maintenance and Inspection is both relevant and interesting reading.

JD

Last edited by Jumbo Driver; 1st Mar 2008 at 20:46. Reason: Further reference to BAe 146 incident & CAP718