PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prince Harry serving in Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2008, 18:59
Mick Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Five months of wrangling over whether to sacrifice someones safety is obscene.

Evil scum (as are the readers who want these stories).

Perhaps next time our soldiers take some journo's out on patrol, they can deal with them in the appropriate manner.
That is, I'm glad to say, a complete misrepresentation of the facts. As someone who took an active part in the process, I can tell you that the media were on board after the first meeting, albeit highly sceptical that it might work. The five months were the period between the initial meeting and the actual moment he deployed. The negotiations were largely how the media embeds would be managed, not over the principle, and therefore actually had more to do with ensuring that TV and the tabloids played fair with the other sections of the media.

The media very frequently keep material out of the public domain if it might lead to loss of life. This was simply unusual in the way it was organised en masse. I have to say that at the first meeting I thought Dannatt was hopelessly naive and that it would be days before mobile phone video of Harry got back to the UK and someone tried to sell it to a tabloid or some foreign journalist spotted him and reported it.

The media don't need thanking for keeping quiet - although given the accusations of allowing ourselves to be censored, it is clearly a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. The people who should take the credit are Dannatt and, for once, the MoD press machine who between them seem to have pulled off something I personally thought would never work.