PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2008, 13:06
firebird_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graviman, I'd second everything Jackboot said. Bought mine last Nov and am pleased with it (to date - 70ish hrs).

Depending on how you think the $ will fair against the £ depends a lot on the depreciation you'll expect.

I took the bubble windows as they also give that extra bit of shoulder room, but haven't had a problem with leaks yet. Also took the leather and interior trim (handy door pocket). I also took the 4 point front harnesses which introduces a cross cabin bar that I've found passengers in the back like to hold on to if they feel edgy (or perhaps that's just my flying!).

Having just completed a type rating on the 206 Jet Ranger it is amazing how much more forgiving the 44 is when it comes to mass & balance and tail rotor authority. Taking off from a confined area with 4 PAX and a load of fuel in the Jet Ranger you'll spend half the time with your eyes glued to the torque gauge and an unexpected gust or sidewind could easily see it overtorqued.

Although there are many that think the Robies are under-engineered I've always felt they offer an affordable and safe form of rotary flying.