PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hero Pilots of Ariana Afghan Airlines
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2008, 10:34
FlyingTom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the early 90's, when I was a smelly student, I bought a ticket to India on Ariana Afghan. I thought it would be more exciting and it was 30 quid cheaper than Alitalia.

We had to fly OK Air to Prague to connect as Ariana were banned from the UK. After a 6 hour delay we left Prague for Delhi. The plane only had 8 pax so it was quite comfy even if the seating was a little patchwork. I awoke in the descent but was surprised to find it was descent into Moscow. After a refuel we taxied out but had to return due to rudder problems. At this point the stewards donned dungarees and tool boxes and proceeded to bash the rudder for a while. This was quite impressive; I haven't seen cabin crew do this since.

On the next descent I looked out for the hills of Kabul but it seemed a bit flat and featureless. I think we landed in Uzbekistan, where we offloaded a chipboard coffin.

The real descent into Kabul was a standard overhead high speed join. The day before one faction had fired a surface to air missile at an Ariana plane on approach with the president on board. It knocked the nose cone off but didn't explode. This was more excitement than I needed.

We were told to wait in a small room in the terminal while more seats were fitted. Already in the room were about a hundred hardened Mujaheddin mountain fighters waiting for their Delhi flight. I doubt they had seen a woman for ten years and we had four blonde ones with us. They stared at them without blinking for two hours, it was socially a little uncomfortable.

The flight to Delhi was uneventful, and un-catered, thankfully. It only took 24hrs from LGW to DEL!

A week later they flattened the terminal building with mortars. I have no doubt the pilots are hero pilots and so are their passengers. I didn't measure up to the standard in that respect. I bought a return ticket with Air India.