PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2008, 07:30
Jackboot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R22-r44

Having moved directly from the 22 to the R44 - then on to my own machine - the differences are all very positive.

The 44 is undoubtedly a safer machine.

It is easier to fly, especially with hydraulics and, even at high weights, you still tend to have plenty of power in reserve, unlike the 22. The 44 engine will invariably reach TBO because of this, whereas the 22, working a lot harder, will be very unlikely to - especially if used for training.

The 44 therefore doesn't routinely work anywhere near as hard, or as close to the limits.

The 44, especially the Raven 2, is such a capable machine. It will whisk 4 people in comfort, at speeds the older Jetrangers could never achieve, and with plenty of storage under each seat for luggage. Speed - 110kts is no problem, pulling only 21 or 22 inches whereas the 22 is thrashing itself to death to achieve anything beyond 85kts.

It will lift almost 1000lbs.

You will see elsewhere though that the new 44's corrode big time. My advice is to buy a new one and specifiy the corrosion option. Otherwise, check out the blighted serial numbers ( mine is one!) and either avoid them by buying an older machine or satisfy yourself that the corrosion has been addressed and the machine properly inhibited. The older ones never suffered from corrosion.

Bubble windows are nice but knock 5kts off! They also 'suck out' in the cruise allowing the rain to trickle in. You can specify an optional spoiler fit that prevents this so don't order the one without the other.

The standard trim is basic - take the leather option plus additional after-market door trims with pockets.

Hope helps.

JB