PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrongly accused 9/11 case pilot can claim damages
Old 29th Feb 2008, 22:07
skridlov

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Some of the contributions here are astonishing. The question is not whether Mr. Raissi is not, could not have become, or indeed has any likelihood of ever working as a professional pilot, it is what compensation he should receive for an outrageous injustice. It should be recalled that if at the time he was originally arrested the current legislation was in force, where any request for extradition by the US government is routinely implemented without demur, he would currently be residing in Gitmo - probably after spending a few months undergoing "robust interrogation" (aka torture) somewhere discreet. This would have certainly brought him into contact with some genuine jihadi scumb@gs as well as some of the other poor s0ds who have ended up there as a result of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, as we now know only too well. What an experience like that could do to someone innocent of these accusations it isn't hard to imagine.
I detect the implication in many of these posts that there is something still slightly "tainted" about Mr. Raissi. How likely is it that if there was, that he would have been allowed to walk away (eventually)? None, I would suggest. I hope he is appropriately compensated for the frightening incompetence he has been subjected to. His chances of getting a job as a pilot have not been enhanced by these events, to put it mildly. But at least he's still alive, which is more than can be said for Jean Charles de Menezes.