PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2008, 15:15
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see no other way forward with this saga, other than directing serious attention towards HLF. Everything else is utterly pointless no matter how well-intentioned. Only HLF has any leverage with TVOC - they will inevitably ignore everybody else.

So, given that HLF will (judging from my past communications with them) be almost as difficult to motivate. They will do nothing unless all this bad feeling, energy and frustration is directed at them, and only them. They will claim that they can do nothing but of course that's nonsense. They're sitting on huge quantities of Lottery money and having already spent (mis-spent, if the project fails) a huge amount, then it would be ludicrous to allow the money to be written-off, when they only need to provide what is (proportionally speaking) another small amount to ensure that the aircraft flies for at least one air show season. If the aircraft still cannot find sponsorship after that, at least HLF could rightly claim to have done everything they could, and at least the project would have resulted in a few months of public appearances in exchange for all the money and hard work that has gone into it. If they refuse to get involved, we can rightly make a very public issue of how the HLF has again wasted a huge amount of money. It's a sound argument which (with enough pressure from the right people) ought to convince them that they will look pretty stupid if they don't step in.

Just as importantly, if they don't step in, the project is patently dead.

So, once again, I would ask everyone to ease-off on the recriminations, the opinions, the moans and gripes. Likewise, I'd ask everyone to forget about all these "publicity campaign" ideas, petitions, letters to MP's and all the rest. It just gives the impression that there are some well-meaning eccentrics out there who think that flying the Vulcan would be a nice idea. Nobody (especially TVOC) is going to take any of this stuff seriously.

If (like me) you're sick of reading the endless misery, then I would urge everyone to do something constructive and forget all this pointless nonsense. Use your energy and enthusiasm to find someone (or some people) who have the ability to present a proper case to HLF, to convince them that they can't afford to allow this project to end in failure when they have put so much money into it. They and they alone have the ability to save it easily at a stroke.

So come on - all these Ppruners... where are the RAF chiefs, the industry chiefs, the media commentators, the high-profile MP's, the celebrities... There must be some lurking around on here, or if not, I'm pretty sure more than a few of you must know a few people that ought to be approached?

Let's not sit-back and grumble the project into oblivion. There's a simple solution which would easily save the project, if only this rabble of muttering and disorganised campaigning was properly co-ordinated and (most importantly) aimed at the right target.